Molasses Brown Bread
by , Updated April 10, 2017
Save a couple of 20-ounce pineapple cans or similar size cans for this steamed brown bread recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Into a mixing bowl, sift together flour, soda, and salt. Add oats and cornmeal. Put 2 tablespoons of the dry mixture into a separate bowl; set aside.
- Into the dry ingredients in mixing bowl, stir molasses and sour milk.
- Mix raisins with the 2 tablespoons of reserved dry mixture; stir into the batter and blend well.
- Turn batter into 2 greased 20-ounce cans, filling each about 2/3 full. Cover with foil.
- Place on rack in large kettle with a tight-fitting lid; pour boiling water into the kettle to approximately 1/3 the height of cans.
- Steam for 2 hours.