Brunswick Stew, Crockpot or Stovetop
by March 28, 2017,
This hearty stew is a tradition in at least three Brunswick Counties: Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia. This version uses typical ingredients and can be cooked on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. It's a versatile stew. Add more stock or another can of tomatoes if you like, or add some diced leftover ham instead of or in addition to the pork.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is translucent; add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Put the onion mixture in the slow cooker along with the potatoes, lima beans, corn, and 2 cups of chicken stock. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for about 30 to 45 minutes longer.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is translucent; add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the potatoes, lima beans, corn, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat, uncovered, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Slow Cooker Chili Pork Stew
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Fast and Easy Beef and Barley Stew