Basic Swiss Steak
by , August 23, 2017
This Swiss steak is made with round steak or cube steak. It's a delicious, old-fashioned beef recipe. Serve Swiss steak with mashed potatoes and corn or carrots.
Related: Favorite Swiss Steak
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Cut the round steak into four serving-size pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle each piece of beef on both sides with some of the flour mixture. Pound the pieces with a meat mallet or rolling pin to thin slightly and tenderize.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat well on both sides. Pour off excess drippings.
- To the skillet with the beef, add the tomatoes, water or beef stock, garlic, chopped onion, and celery. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until quite tender.
- Add the bell pepper to the skillet. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes longer.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and corn.
Makes 4 Servings