Muenster and Cheddar Mac and Cheese
by , August 27, 2017
Muenster and cheddar cheeses team up in this creamy baked macaroni and cheese. Buttery panko bread crumbs make a crunchy topping for the casserole.
Related: Cheesy Wagon Wheel Pasta Bake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water as directed on the package. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Lightly butter a shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Melt 5 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, mustard powder, salt, and pepper to the butter and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the cream or milk and blend thoroughly. Continue cooking, stirring or whisking constantly, until thickened. Add the cheese and cook, stirring, until the cheese has melted.
- Combine the cheese sauce and pasta in the pan or a large bowl and blend thoroughly. Spoon the pasta and sauce into the prepared casserole.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the panko bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the pasta and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is browned and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Serve as a side dish or as the main dish with a vegetable side dish.
Makes 6 servings.