Creamed Chicken With Fried Grits Cakes
by , August 29, 2017
The grits cakes make a tasty base for this creamed chicken (a la king). The grits cakes can be made a day in advance and then fried just before serving time. It's a tasty dish, and the grits cakes are a nice change of pace from toast, biscuits, or puff pastry shells.
Feel free to use quick cooking grits or polenta and follow the package directions for the initial cook.
Related: Spicy Louisiana Shrimp
Top 24 Easy Chicken Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Line a 10-by-15-inch jelly roll pan with plastic wrap, leaving ends out to serve as handles.
- Bring 4 cups of chicken stock and 3 tablespoons of butter to a full boil over high heat. Add the grits and whisk to blend. Reduce heat to medium low to keep the grits boiling gently. Cook, whisking frequently, for 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of milk to the grits and continue cooking, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes longer. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk along with the shredded cheese and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 15 to 30 minutes longer; remove from the heat. Beat 1 egg lightly and then add it into to the hot grits, whisking quickly until well blended.
- Place the grits back on the heat and cook for 1 minute longer. Pour the grits into the prepared pan. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and firm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the creamed chicken. Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-low until melted. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, until soft and browned. Add the sliced scallions and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended into the butter; stir in chicken broth. Continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Add heavy cream and sherry. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in chicken and pimiento, if using.
- Fry grits cakes. Add oil to a large skillet, about 3 tablespoons, or to coat the bottom. Heat over medium heat. Beat 1 egg in a shallow bowl. Pour cornmeal into another shallow bowl. Cut grits out with a 2 1/2 to 3-inch cutter. Dip both sides in egg then in cornmeal. Arrange the coated grits cakes in hot oil. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until browned. Turn to brown the other side.
- With a slotted spatula, remove the grits cakes to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Arrange 1 grits cake on a dinner plate; spoon some of the chicken mixture over it. Top with another grits cake and spoon a little more chicken mixture over that one. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 Servings.