Oven-Braised Beef Shanks With Vegetables
by , October 21, 2017
These amazing beef shanks are tender and delicious. The beef shanks are slowly braised in the oven with mushrooms, carrots, and onions along with red wine and beef stock. The liquids make a delicious gravy to serve with mashed potatoes.
Slow Cooker Osso Buco, Braised Veal Shanks
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Heat the oven to 300 F.
- Put the seasoned flour mixture in a bowl or plastic food storage bag. Coat the beef shanks with the flour mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or deep, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef shanks for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning to brown both sides. Remove the beef shanks to a plate and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with another tablespoon of olive oil and cook until golden brown and tender. Remove to the plate with the beef shanks and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the pan with another tablespoon of olive oil. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are translucent. Add the red wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Add the beef broth, shanks, and mushrooms back to the pan.
- Cover and bake for about 3 to 4 hours, until the meat is tender and falling away from the bone.
- Remove the beef shanks and vegetables to a plate and keep warm while you make the gravy.
- Strain the liquids and skim off fat. Pour the defatted liquids back into the Dutch oven or pan and add the solids to the beef shanks and vegetables.
- Put the pan with the liquids over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for about 2 to 4 minutes to reduce slightly and concentrate flavors.
- Put 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour into a small bowl or cup.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cold water and whisk until smooth. Stir into the simmering liquids. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Taste the gravy and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Serve the beef shanks with the gravy and vegetables, along with mashed or boiled potatoes or hot cooked noodles.
Makes 4 servings.