Basic American Chop Suey
by , August 28, 2017
American chop suey -- also known as goulash or macaroni with beef and tomatoes -- is a popular American comfort food. Add extra flavor with about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce or a few tablespoons of tomato paste. For a baked casserole, add some shredded cheese and buttered bread crumbs.
Related: Easy Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the ground beef and bell pepper continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes to the skillet along with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni following package directions.
- Add the drained macaroni to the tomato and beef mixture and blend well.
- Garnish with shredded Parmesan or cheddar cheese, if desired.
VariationsBaked: If desired, transfer the chop suey mixture to a lightly greased casserole and bake with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and buttered bread crumb (1 cup soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter) for the topping. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.