by Updated April 4, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This basic fried okra is a southern favorite. Use fresh okra in this recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serves 4 to 6.
- Wash okra and drain well.
- Remove tip and stem ends and then cut the okra into 1/2 inch slices.
- Put the okra in a bowl and sprinkle with salt; add buttermilk, stirring until well coated.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes and then drain okra well.
- Put the cornmeal in another bowl. Add okra pieces and toss to coat.
- Deep fry okra in batches in hot (375 F) oil until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
Adapted from Bell's Best Cookbook - Mississippi
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Vegetable Recipes Index