by Updated April 4, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
These mashed potatoes are made with red-skinned potatoes, but feel free to use half sweet potatoes or rutabagas for additional flavor and color.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Cut the potatoes into uniform chunks and place them in a large pan. Cover with cold water and add the sea salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when poked with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the water from the pan.
- Heat the cream, milk and butter over low heat; do not boil.
- With a potato masher or large fork crush the potatoes in their pan, adding the cream mixture a little at a time. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Continue mashing until the potatoes are well blended.
- There should still be some chunks left, with the red potato skins throughout the mixture.
- Add more cream, milk or butter if necessary.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, stir in the parsley and transfer to a serving bowl.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Au Gratin Potatoes
Basic Mashed Potatoes
Vegetable Recipes Index