by Updated April 17, 2017,
These almonds make an excellent party snack, or make them for a tv snack or weekend treat.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: About 35 minutes
Total Time: 43 minutes
*To Test for Soft Ball Stage
- Heat the oven to 300 F.
- Put almonds and oil in a shallow baking pan; stir until almonds are coated.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water in a saucepan; cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Boil to 236 F of a candy thermometer, or to soft ball stage.*
- Remove from heat; blend in vanilla.
- Add almonds and stir until mixture is creamy. Turn out onto waxed paper and use a fork to separate almonds.
A small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball, but is soft enough to flatten when picked up with fingers (234° to 240°).
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Related Snack Recipes
Party Mix Recipe