by Updated March 31, 2017,
If you're looking for a candy bar-like recipe, these amazing shortbread cookie bars are an excellent choice. The bars are made in layers, with a cookie layer, a chewy caramel layer, and a chocolate layer.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add the corn syrup and the sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil and cook for about 12 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture turns a nice medium caramel brown color. Do not let the mixture scorch.
- When it's very thick and just begins to stick to the bottom of the pan as you stir, it's time to remove from the heat; add the vanilla. Stir to blend and pour over the crust.
- Melt chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl over simmering water; spread over the caramel layer. Chill until set, then cut into squares.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookies, Candy, and Bars Index