Basic Breakfast Egg Casserole With Sausage
by , September 9, 2017
This easy casserole is the perfect weekend or holiday morning breakfast. The eggs, cheese, and sausage make it a complete meal. Serve it with fresh sliced tomatoes or some fresh berries or warm fruit. It would be great with hash browns as well.
Related: Individual Breakfast Casseroles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet and place it over medium heat. Cook the sausage until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, ground mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, and nutmeg. Add the drained sausage, bread cubes, and shredded cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator about 1/2 hour before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Bake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the casserole is set. A knife inserted into the center of the custard should come out clean.
Makes 6 servings.