Old-Fashioned Molasses Cookies
by Updated April 10, 2017,
Molasses cookies are one of my favorite cookies, and these refrigerator style molasses cookies are easy to slice and bake.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- Into a bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the shortening until smooth; add brown sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg, and vinegar; beat until smooth and light.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Chill dough for 1 or 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Divide dough into 3 portions; shape each into a roll about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap each roll in waxed paper; chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Slice 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cookies are done.
Makes about 4 to 5 dozen cookies, depending on thickness.
Calories per cookie (based on 48 cookies): 80
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Molasses Cookie Recipes
Molasses Crinkle Cookies
Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe
Soft Molasses Cookies