Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
by , Updated April 6, 2017
This pie is a great way to use fresh spring rhubarb and strawberries. Celebrate the season with this wonderful pie!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prepare the pie pastry and separate it into two disks. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll half of the dough out to about 11 inches in diameter. Fit the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, tapioca, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the sliced rhubarb and strawberries until well blended. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the prepared pie crust. Dot with the small pieces of butter.
- Roll the remaining pastry disk out and place it over the top of the pie; trim the edges and crimp as desired.
- Cut several slits in the top of the pie to serve as a vent for steam.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until the pie is nicely browned and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a rack.
- Serve the strawberry rhubarb pie warm or at room temperature with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes about 8 servings.