Vegetable Casserole With Cheddar Cheese Sauce
by July 3, 2017,
Broccoli and cauliflower get together with a tasty cheddar sauce to make this festive vegetable casserole. Red bell peppers and onions add flavor and color, and the French fried onion crumbles add crunch.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a large saucepan combine the broccoli and cauliflower with peppers and onion; cover with water and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk to the roux mixture, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Add the freshly ground black pepper and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Arrange the broccoli and cauliflower mixture in the prepared baking dish. Pour sauce evenly over the vegetables. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and the French fried onions.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Easy Skillet Chicken and Rice Curry
Easy Chicken and Cornbread Dressing Casserole