Vanilla Pudding With Toasted Coconut
by , October 10, 2017
This rich vanilla pudding is jazzed up with a garnish of toasted flaked or shaved coconut. It's a creamy pudding with a generous amount of vanilla.
Basic Homemade Vanilla Pudding
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt until well blended. Whisk in the milk.
- Place the pan over medium-low heat and heat until almost simmering, stirring frequently.
- In a large cup or bowl, whisk the egg yolks with heavy cream. Whisk about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the eggs and then pour the egg mixture into the saucepan; whisk to blend. Cook until the mixture begins to bubble, whisking constantly. Continue cooking for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove the pudding from heat and add the vanilla extract or paste and butter. Stir to blend thoroughly. Pour into a bowl and let the mixture cool for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap over the surface of the pudding to keep air from forming a skin. Refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- Top with toasted coconut just before serving.
Makes 6 servings.