Turkey Cobbler With Drop Biscuit Topping
by , June 21, 2017
This tasty turkey cobbler -- also known as a "gobbler cobbler" -- is made with a savory turkey and gravy filling and drop biscuit topping.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat 5 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat until foamy; add the sliced celery and cook until just tender. Add the scallions and cook 1 minute longer. Add the 6 tablespoons of flour and stir until well blended and bubbly. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and turkey gravy to the flour and vegetable mixture; continue cooking, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning, the thawed vegetables, and turkey; heat through.
- Pour the turkey mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg with the milk and melted butter.
- In another bowl, blend the 1 cup of flour with cornmeal, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 scant teaspoon of poultry seasoning, and parsley.
- With a wooden spoon, stir dry ingredients into the egg and milk mixture until well blended.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough evenly over the hot filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until topping is browned and filling is bubbly.
- Serve with cranberry sauce on the side, if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 Servings