Tuna and Orzo Pasta Casserole
Updated July 1, 2017 by
This tuna casserole is made with orzo pasta and a creamy Parmesan cheese sauce. Peas and mushrooms add to the flavor and texture of the easy tuna pasta casserole. This casserole would be great with salmon as well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook the orzo in boiling water following the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and green onions and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are golden brown. Stir in the flour and continue cooking, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk and continue cooking until thickened.
- Add the flaked tuna and peas to the sauce mixture along with half of the Parmesan cheese. Stir in pimiento, if using.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine the sauce mixture with the hot drained pasta until blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the casserole is bubbling around the edges.
4 to 6 Servings