Easy Shrimp Creole
by , September 3, 2017
Tomatoes and the holy trinity of Creole vegetables (onion, celery, garlic) are combined with simply cooked shrimp and some spicy seasonings. Serve shrimp Creole over rice for a fabulous lunch or dinner.
Related: Shrimp and Peas
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Peel the shrimp. Run the tip of a sharp knife down the back of a shrimp and remove the dark vein. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Rinse under cold water. Refrigerate the shrimp until you're ready to cook them.
- Put shrimp in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a rolling boil and boil just long enough for shrimp to turn pink. Remove from heat and drain; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers, onions, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are just tender, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Add the crushed and diced tomatoes along with the Cajun seasoning, oregano, and cayenne and red pepper flakes, if using. Adjust the heat to suit your taste. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, put shrimp in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a rolling boil and boil just long enough for shrimp to turn pink. Remove from heat and drain; set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.
Makes 4 servings.