Shepherd's Pie With Lamb and Vegetables
by , October 25, 2017
This traditional shepherd's pie is made with ground or minced lamb, gravy, and chopped vegetables. The homemade mashed potato topping is classic. For a special look, pipe the potatoes onto the casserole filling with a cake decorating tip.
Cottage Pie With Ground Beef
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small chunks. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add 2 teaspoons of salt. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and continue cooking until the potatoes are tender -- about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly. Add the 6 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of milk or cream. Mash until smooth, adding more milk or cream along with salt and pepper, as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrot and cook until the carrot is just tender. Add the onion and saute for about 4 minutes longer. Crumble the lamb into the skillet and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and the thyme. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the broth and wine (if using) to the roux along with the Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Stir and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and continue cooking until the peas are tender.
- Spoon the lamb and vegetable mixture into the baking dish.
- Pipe or spread the potatoes over the lamb filling.
- Bake the shepherd's pie for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned. If necessary, turn the broiler for a minute or two.
Makes 6 servings.