Rich 2-Cheese Penne Pasta Bake
by , August 25, 2017
This penne pasta bake makes a big batch, enough for 8 people. The 2-cheese sauce is made richer with the addition of egg yolks, and the crunchy bread crumb topping is the perfect finishing touch. Make it for your family or take it to a potluck dinner. For a small family, cut the ingredients amounts back by half.
Related: Meaty Neapolitan Pasta With Sausage
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a large, shallow baking dish.
- Cook penne pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and mustard powder and stir until well blended. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk while whisking constantly. Continue cooking until thickened. Add the cheeses to the sauce, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cheese mixture into the egg yolks and then stir the egg mixture into the remaining cheese sauce mixture in the saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Combine the drained cooked pasta with the cheese sauce. Transfer the pasta and sauce mixture to the baking dish.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and parsley. Sprinkle over the penne mixture and then sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is browned and the pasta mixture is bubbly.
Makes 8 servings.