Semi-Homemade Red Velvet Cake
by , May 17, 2017
A devil's food cake mix makes this red velvet cake easy, and the cream cheese frosting is the perfect topping. Buttermilk, eggs, and food coloring make it a semi-homemade cake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, baking soda, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. Beat on low speed until well blended. Increase the mixer to high speed and beat for 2 minutes longer.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Frost the cooled cake with cream cheese frosting (below) and sprinkle with chopped pecans or coconut, if desired.
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and butter together until blended.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl and beat on low speed until blended. Continue beating on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and enough of the warm water to make a soft, spreadable frosting.
Makes 12 servings.