Pizza Pasta Bake With Pepperoni and Three Kinds of Cheese
by , August 25, 2017
The sauce for this delicious ziti casserole is made with three kinds of cheese. Pepperoni, ripe olives, and sliced tomatoes give this ziti bake pizza flavors.
Related: Meaty Neapolitan Pasta With Sausage
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Cook the ziti in boiling salted water following package directions; drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are browned, and onion is softened. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute longer. Add flour and stir until well blended. Continue cooking for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk and continue cooking until thickened, stirring constantly
- Reserve 1/4 cup of each of the three kinds of cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan) and reserve for topping. Add the remainder of the three kinds of cheese to the sauce and stir to blend. Stir in the pepperoni, olives, if using, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauce with the ziti; stir to blend thoroughly.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle evenly with the reserved 3/4 cup of cheeses.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until well blended. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.