Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breasts
by , July 17, 2017
Prepared pesto makes an excellent filling for these stuffed chicken breasts. The chicken is rolled up with pesto and coated with a Parmesan bread crumb mixture. These are oven-fried, so they're relatively light. Use the homemade Mornay sauce or a prepared Alfredo sauce with the stuffed chicken rolls and serve them over pasta or rice. The chicken would be good with purchased gravy or cream of mushroom soup thinned with a small amount of milk.
Related: Top 24 Easy Chicken Recipes Tex-Mex Baked Chicken With Taco Seasoning
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Optional Mornay Sauce
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Lightly oil a baking pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put the chicken, one piece at a time, in a food storage bag and pound gently with a meat mallet or other heavy object until about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with all of the chicken breasts.
- Beat the egg in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the bread crumbs, shredded cheese, and parsley. Pulse a few times, until blended and somewhat fine.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of pesto on each chicken breast and roll up.
- Dip the chicken rolls gently into the beaten egg to coat and then coat thoroughly with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk and continue cooking until thickened, stirring frequently. Add the 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of Shredded Swiss cheese or Gruyere. Continue cooking until the cheese has melted; add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of nutmeg.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce over the chicken rolls before serving. Sprinkle with diced tomato if desired.
Makes 4 Servings