Semi Homemade Brownies With Penuche Frosting
by May 13, 2017,
The brown sugar penuche frosting elevates these easy brownies. The brownies come from a mix, but you'd never guess.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Bake the brownies in a greased and floured 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan following the package directions. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Put the chopped pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and turning, until the pecans are lightly brown and aromatic.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the evaporated milk or cream, butter, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring constantly, for 1 full minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans, confectioners sugar, and vanilla. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes, stirring about once every minute.
- Spread the frosting over the completely cooled brownies. Let stand for about 45 minutes, or until the frosting is set.
- Cut the brownies into squares or bars.
Makes About 24 Servings
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe