Make Ahead Cinnamon Sticky Buns
by , September 27, 2017
These homemade sticky buns are simply amazing. The buns make a fabulous breakfast treat for a weekend or holiday morning. The rich yeast dough is filled with a buttery cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. And the dough is made in advance, a real bonus when you need that time to be with family and friends.
The dough is similar to a buttery brioche dough and rather sticky, so the mixing and kneading are best done with a stand mixer.
Related: Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 21 minutes
Total Time: 31 minutes
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine the instant yeast with the lukewarm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the dry milk powder, bread flour, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and egg. Attach the dough hook and mix until the dough comes together and climbs up the dough hook. Knead with the machine for about 3 minutes.
- Add the butter, a few tablespoons at a time.
- It will take several minutes to incorporate the butter, and you might have to break the dough away from the dough hook with a spatula from time to time. When the butter has incorporated fully into the dough (it will be sticky and batter-like), continue kneading, adding small amounts of flour until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Knead for about 5 to 6 minutes longer, until smooth and elastic.
- Line a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Press the dough into the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 45 minutes. Refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for a few minutes, or just enough time to take the chill off.
- Combine 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the 1 cup of pecan halves. Pour into the buttered baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the cinnamon, along with the finely chopped pecans, if using.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle roughly 15 inches in length and 9 inches in width. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of butter over the dough to within about 1/2 inch along the long ends.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Starting at a long end, roll the dough up, jelly-roll style. Cut the roll into 12 rounds. Place the slices atop the butter-pecan mixture in the baking pan. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake the buns for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Carefully invert onto a large platter or a large shallow baking pan, such as a jelly roll pan.
- Spoon any syrup left in the pan over the buns. Pull apart and serve warm.
Makes 12 servings.