Light Onion Cornbread
by , August 10, 2017
Browned sweet onions and pepper flavor this light cornbread. An egg white and low-fat milk make this cornbread relatively low in fat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; add the sweet onions and cook until light golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk with the egg white. Add the cooked onions and blend well.
- Add the onion mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake until the sides begin to pull away from the pan, about 20 minutes.
- Cool before loosening the sides and turning out of the pan.
Makes 6 Servings