Green Tomato, Apple, and Grape Chutney
by , October 20, 2017
This is a lovely end-of-season chutney made with green tomatoes, apples, and grapes. Use half dark and golden raisins or half raisins and half dried cranberries or cherries in the chutney.
Mom's Bread and Butter Pickles
Quick Pickled Onions
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Combine the green tomato wedges, diced apples, brown sugar, vinegar, raisins, onions, and salt in a large nonreactive stockpot or Dutch oven; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add the grapes and seasonings; stir well.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 1 hour, or until mixture is thickened.
- Meanwhile, wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water. Put the jars put them in a large water bath canner. Fill the pot with water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the lids in a saucepan of water; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the chutney into the hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space; wipe jar rims and threads.
- Cover at once with the lids. Screw the bands on firmly but do not overtighten.
- Put the jars in a rack and lower them into the canner. The water should be at least 1 inch above the jars; add more hot water, if necessary.
- Bring the water to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to maintain a gently boil and process for 15 minutes -- 20 minutes for altitudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet.
Makes about 6 pints.