Festive Coconut Shortbread Squares With Candied Cherries
by , October 22, 2017
These festive shortbread squares are fabulous Christmas treats. The buttery shortbread crust is topped with a mixture of almonds, coconut, candied cherries, and sweetened condensed milk.
Easy Cake Mix Oat Bars With Chocolate Filling
Graham Blondies With Chocolate Chips
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or spray it lightly with baking spray.
- Put the almonds in a dry skillet and place it over medium heat. Cook the almonds until lightly browned and aromatic, turning and stirring constantly. Remove to a plate to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter, flour, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of the almond extract; beat just until the mixture begins to clump together. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake the crust mixture for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
- Combine the toasted almonds with the coconut and candied cherries. Toss with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract; sprinkle over the cooled crust.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the coconut and almond mixture. Return to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool and chill before cutting into squares.
Makes about 2 dozen squares.