Eggplant Roll-Ups With Ricotta Parmesan Filling
by , October 12, 2017
Eggplant ribbons are filled with a tasty ricotta and Parmesan cheese mixture. An easy tomato and roasted bell pepper sauce finishes the dish.
Lentil, Tomato, and Roasted Eggplant Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Heat the oven broiler.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil spray or brush with olive oil.
- Slice the ends off of the eggplant.
- With a large, sharp knife, slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil or spray with cooking oil spray.
- Broil until the eggplant slices are browned. Remove the pan to a rack to cool while you prepare the sauce and filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the roasted red peppers, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with the Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of basil, 1 to 2 teaspoons of parsley, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and a dash of black pepper. Blend thoroughly.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Spoon a few teaspoons of the cheese mixture onto the end of an eggplant slice Roll the eggplant up around the filling and place it on the tomato mixture, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.