No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread
by April 15, 2017,
This version of the no-knead bread takes about 3 hours start to finish, and morst of that is rising time. The directions call for a stand mixer, but it can just as easily be mixed with a wooden spoon or your bare hands. It's just a matter of blending the ingredients and then letting the bread rise. The bread is nearly effortless, and takes only 5 ingredients!
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Use 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven for this bread. The recipe makes a 1 1/2-pound loaf.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Rising Times: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 25 minutes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, water, olive oil, instant yeast, and salt. Mix until all ingredients are moistened and a soft dough is formed. It will look shaggy and wet, but that's okay.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Sprinkle a large sheet of parchment paper -- about 12-by-16 inches -- with flour. Moisten your hands with water and gather the dough into a ball. Place on the parchment paper and gently shape it into a round loaf.
- Sprinkle the dough with flour and grasping the ends of the parchment paper, lift the dough and paper into a large bowl. Cover with a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place the covered ungreased Dutch oven in the oven. If the knob of the Dutch oven is plastic and not safe at the high temperature, remove it.
- Carefully remove the hot pot from the oven.
- Transfer the paper and dough ball to the hot Dutch oven. Score the top of the loaf, if desired.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven and bake, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue baking for about 20 minutes longer, or until golden brown.
- The loaf should register about 195 F in the center on an instant-read thermometer.
- Cool on a rack.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Homemade Rustic Bread
Bread Machine Herb and Mustard Bread