Chili Con Carne With Pinto Beans
by , May 13, 2017
This beef and bean chili is a meaty chili your family will love. The ingredients include stewing beef, canned pinto beans, garlic, and seasonings. It's a great chili for anyone who prefers a chili with no tomatoes. Add a can of diced tomatoes if you like.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, simmer the dried peppers in 1 cup water for 10 to 15 minutes, or until softened; drain and cool peppers. Cut the peppers open and remove seeds and membranes. Finely chop the peppers (I recommend gloves when handling chile peppers) and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add the meat and cook while stirring until browned. Add onions and garlic; cook until tender. Add 2 cups of water, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and the diced red peppers. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until beef is very tender.
- Add the corn and continue cooking for about 15 minutes.
- Heat beans in a separate saucepan.
- To serve, spoon beans into a bowl and top with meat mixture. Or, add beans to meat mixture near the end of cooking.
Makes 8 Servings