Chicken Stew With Soft Drop Dumplings
by , September 6, 2017
This thick and comforting chicken stew is finished with fluffy dumplings. It's a delicious simmered stew. If you are starting with diced cooked chicken instead of chicken parts, skip the first 2 steps and use 5 cups of low sodium or unsalted chicken stock to boil the vegetables. Season the stock to taste with salt and pepper or a seasoned salt blend.
Feel free to skip the dumplings and serve the stew with freshly baked biscuits.
Related: Chicken Stew With Cornmeal Dumplings
Top 24 Easy Chicken Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Place the chicken in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; add the chicken broth and enough water to cover. Add the thyme, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl to cool slightly. Strain the broth and reserve 5 cups. Remove chicken meat from the bones and dice.
- In the same pan, bring the 5 cups of reserved strained broth to a boil; reduce heat to medium low. Add the carrots, lima beans, potato, onion, and celery; cook for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add the diced chicken, corn, parsley, and tomatoes and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings. Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and stir with a fork to make a thick, soft dough.
- In a cup, combine 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 to 4 tablespoons of cold water; stir until smooth.
- Add the flour and water mixture to the simmering stew mixture and stir well.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dumpling dough onto simmering stew. Cook for 5 minutes; stir carefully from time to time.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes longer, or until dumplings are cooked through, again stirring carefully occasionally to prevent scorching.
- If desired, sprinkle dumplings with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
4 to 6 servings.