Chicken and Shrimp Pilaf
Updated July 1, 2017 by
Chicken and shrimp team up in this tasty rice pilaf. Bacon adds flavor to the combination along with a variety of chopped vegetables. Serve the chicken and shrimp pilaf with crusty French bread and a tossed salad.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain; crumble and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice with the chicken stock and bacon drippings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 4 to 5 minutes.
- In the skillet, melt the butter; add onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent and vegetables are tender. Add the flour to the vegetable mixture and stir to blend. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce to the skillet along with the shrimp and chicken. Cook, stirring, for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked rice and bacon to the skillet and stir to blend; heat through. If the rice mixture seems dry, add a small amount chicken broth to moisten.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or green onions.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Classic Shrimp Cocktail
Creole Style Rice Pilaf with Shrimp and Chicken