Fall Chicken and Vegetable Chowder
by , October 13, 2017
Some apple cider adds interesting flavor to this attractive and tasty fall chowder. I used chicken and apple sausage (Aidell's), which went well with the diced chicken. One reader said she used Italian sausage with good results. If you use a fresh sausage, brown it thoroughly and drain it first.
Best-Ever Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add the chopped onion, celery, and diced sausage. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent and the sausage is lightly browned.
- Add the apple cider, chicken stock, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pan; simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn and diced chicken.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup of the milk with the 1/2 cup of flour.
- Stir the milk mixture into the pot with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of milk.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir the cheese into the chowder and cook until melted.
- Add parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
Makes 8 servings.