Cheesy Wagon Wheel Pasta Bake
by , August 26, 2017
This wagon wheel pasta casserole is basically a baked macaroni and cheese in a fun shape. Kids love wagon wheels but feel free to use macaroni or shells in the recipe. This is a recipe you'll make again and again.
Related: Rich 2-Cheese Penne Pasta Bake
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 36 minutes
Total Time: 48 minutes
- Cook macaroni following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water; set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Stir flour into the butter until smooth and bubbly. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the dry mustard, salt, and pepper; blend well. Gradually whisk the milk into the roux and continue cooking until thickened. Add the green onions, if using, along with the cheese; stir until smooth.
- Combine the drained pasta wheels and the sauce; turn into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until thoroughly coated.
- Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the casserole.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the pasta mixture hot and bubbly around the edges and the topping is lightly browned.
Makes 6 servings.