Low Carb Cauliflower "Macaroni and Cheese"
by March 28, 2017,
If you're low-carbing it, you will appreciate this macaroni and cheese substitute. It a wonderful side dish, and the recipe is super easy to prepare. The dish is finished in the oven with extra cheese topping.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Place a steaming basket in a large saucepan and add about an inch of water. Add the cauliflower and bring the water to a boil. Cover and cook for about 6 to 9 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream in another saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the cheese, garlic powder, and mustard powder. Stir until cheese has melted. Add 1/2 cup of milk. Add more milk, as needed.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Combine the sauce with the cauliflower; transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle some cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with some cheddar cheese. Broil until the cheese has browned.
Serves 4 to 6
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
- Add some steamed vegetables to the sauce before you bake. Peas, broccoli, and asparagus are good choices.
- For extra protein and flavor, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of diced cooked bacon or a cup of diced ham, turkey, or chicken.
Garlic and Parmesan Cauliflower Rice
Spaghetti With Mushrooms, Bacon, and Parmesan Cheese
Basic Homemade Gnocchi
Spaghetti and Cheese Casserole
Macaroni and Cheese With White Cheddar and Fontina Cheeses