Cabbage Wedges With Tangy Cheese Sauce
by , August 17, 2017
These cabbage wedges are baked with a tangy homemade cheese sauce. The chili sauce, mayonnaise, and cheese mixture add some zing to the saucy cabbage dish. Feel free to leave the chili sauce out or add a little ketchup, to taste. One visitor substituted some red curry paste with excellent results.
Related: Cabbage Gratin
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Cut the cabbage into 8 wedges and then remove the hard center core; place in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan and lower the heat to low; cook for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Arrange the drained cabbage wedges in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Cook the green bell pepper and onion until tender. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the thickened sauce over cabbage. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
- Combine the mayonnaise, shredded cheese, and chili sauce; mix well. Spoon the mixture over the cabbage wedges and bake for 5 minutes more, until cheese is melted.
Makes 8 Servings