Cheddar Cabbage Gratin With Bacon
by , August 17, 2017
Green bell pepper, celery, and some paprika add color and flavor to this creamy scalloped cabbage gratin. Buttered bread crumbs provide a crunchy finish. Feel free to omit the celery and/or green bell pepper if you like, or leave the bacon out for a vegetarian dish.
Related: Cabbage With Cheese Sauce and Bacon
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Remove outer leaves from cabbage and then cut it into 6 to 8 wedges. Place the cabbage wedges in a large saucepan with about 3 inches of boiling water. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer the cabbage to a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add the green pepper and celery and saute for 3 minutes, or until tender. Transfer vegetables to the baking dish with slotted spoon.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet; stir in flour and continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour sauce over cabbage.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter; toss with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the casserole along with the buttered bread crumbs and shredded cheese. Sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Makes 6 Servings