Creamy Bow Tie Pasta With Ham and Cheese
by , August 25, 2017
The creamy fontina cheese sauce brings the ingredients together in this easy bow tie pasta recipe. Ham and vegetables make the casserole a satisfying main dish. Serve this pasta casserole with a tossed salad and hot garlic bread.
Related: Pasta With Asparagus and Ham
Prep Time: 18 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 53 minutes
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following the package directions. Rinse and drain in a strainer or colander; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat; add the celery, onions, and diced ham. Cook until the onions are translucent and the celery is tender. Add the sage and flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the fontina and cheddar cheese to the sauce mixture and continue cooking until cheese has melted. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce mixture and stir until blended.
- Turn the pasta mixture into a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs; sprinkle over the top of the pasta.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Add 1 cup of thawed frozen peas or about 1 cup of chopped canned or frozen thawed artichokes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.