Crockpot Beer Cheese Soup
by , July 27, 2017
A light-flavored beer or ale is the best choice for this cheese soup recipe. Cheddar cheese is used in this soup, though smoked cheddar would be good as well.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 20 minutes
- Heat the oil a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and bell pepper and saute for about 4 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Combine celery, carrot, bell pepper, and onion in slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, butter, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Strain mixture; puree vegetables in blender and return to pot with the liquids.
- Increase the slow cooker heat setting to HIGH. Dissolve flour in small amount of water and stir until smooth; add to broth.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until blended.
- Stir in the beer.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is hot.
- Add salt, to taste.
- Garnish with crumbled cooked bacon, croutons, or chopped fresh parsley.
Makes 6 Servings