Beef Rolls - Rouladen
by , August 8, 2017
Rouladen is an easy, budget friendly dish with a tasty tomato sauce. This version is filled with the classic pickle, carrot, and bacon mixture. Thin round steaks are used in the recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 30 minutes
- Lay the steak slices on a cutting board. Spread mustard on each steak and sprinkle with the minced onion. Place a bacon strip on each slice. Lay carrot sticks and a pickle quarter at the end of each of the steaks. Roll up jelly roll style and secure with toothpicks or skewers.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Coat roll-ups with the seasoned flour. Reserve any remaining flour mixture in the refrigerator until the meat is done.
- Heat the oil in heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the steak rolls and brown on all sides.
- Combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot water and brown sugar.
- Pour the sauce mixture over meat.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour. Alternatively, you may cover the pan and place in 325 F oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the meat to a platter; remove the toothpicks or skewers and keep warm.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of reserved flour mixture with 2 tablespoons of cold water and whisk to make a smooth paste. Add to the sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbling.
- Pour sauce over roll-ups.
Makes 4 Servings