Basic Cheese Sauce for Vegetables or Pasta
by , October 4, 2017
This cheese sauce is a breeze to fix, and it can easily transform plain steamed broccoli or cauliflower into a more flavorful vegetable dish. Or use it as a sauce for a basic gratin or mac and cheese. It's an essential everyday sauce, and can easily be adapted with different cheeses and seasonings. Add a dash of nutmeg or cayenne pepper, depending on how you'll be using the sauce. The recipe makes about 3 cups of sauce.
Classic Hollandaise Sauce
Easy Pasta Alfredo
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter is hot and the foaming subsides, add the flour, and ground mustard and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk and continue cooking until thickened and bubbling, stirring constantly.
- Add the cheese and continue cooking until melted, stirring frequently.
- Thin the sauce with extra milk, if necessary.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Makes about 8 servings.