Basic Baked Custard
Updated July 1, 2017 by
This egg custard is very easy to prepare and bake, and it makes a wonderful dessert. Feel free to add some cinnamon if you prefer..
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Place four 6-ounce or six 4-ounce custard cups or ramekins in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or a similar large baking dish which will accommodate the ramekins.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until hot, about 120 F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar, vanilla, and salt until well blended.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Distribute the custard mixture evenly among the ramekins. Top each with a generous sprinkling of ground nutmeg. Use freshly grated nutmeg if possible.
- Add hot water to the outer baking dish to about 1 inch in depth.
- Bake the custards for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted into the center of a custard comes out clean.
- Let the custards cool a bit and unmold or leave in the ramekins. Serve with whipped cream, if desired
Makes 4 to 6 Servings