Apple Stuffed Chicken Rolls With Easy Gravy
by , August 10, 2017
These chicken breast rolls are filled with a delicious apple and bread stuffing. The chicken rolls are served with an easy chicken gravy. Serve the chicken and gravy with the extra baked stuffing mixture and mashed potatoes.
Related: Top 24 Easy Chicken Recipes
Prep Time: 22 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 57 minutes
- Place the chicken breasts between sheets or plastic wrap or in a food storage bag and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy pan until thinned evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and cook until translucent, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of apple juice, the chopped apples, bread crumbs, and parsley.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Mix well. Remove the apple stuffing mixture to a bowl and set aside. Wipe the pan clean and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Place a few tablespoons of the stuffing mixture in the center of each flattened chicken breast half. Roll up, tucking the ends under, burrito-style. Secure the rolls with toothpicks or skewers.
- Butter a small baking dish. Put the remaining stuffing mixture in the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Keep warm until the chicken is done.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and place it over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add the chicken rolls. Cook, carefully turning until browned on all sides. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth to the pan along with the wine or sherry. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook slowly for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken and filling are thoroughly cooked. The minimum safe temperature for chicken with stuffing is 165 F in the center of the stuffing. When done, transfer to a serving dish and remove the toothpicks.
- Stir the 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch into 1 tablespoon of cold water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan juices and stir until smooth. Add the remaining chicken broth and bring to a boil. Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened, stirring constantly.
Makes 4 Servings