Apple Cookies With Raisins, Walnuts, and Vanilla Glaze
by , May 10, 2017
Glazed apple cookies get crunch and flavor from the walnuts, raisins, and spices. The cookies are drizzled with an easy vanilla glaze.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Lightly grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour with baking soda, and salt; stir or whisk to blend and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the shortening with brown sugar until smooth and creamy; add the 1 teaspoon of vanilla, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and beat until well blended. Beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Stir in about half of the flour and baking soda mixture and then fold in the nuts, apple, and raisins.
- Blend in the milk and remaining flour mixture until blended.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet(s), leaving about 2 inches between mounds.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 to 14 minutes, or until they are firm and the bottoms are lightly browned.
- While cookies are baking, sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl. Add the softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a dash of salt, and 1/4 cup of milk. Beat until smooth and well blended. Add more confectioners' sugar or milk to get a good drizzling or spreading consistency.
- Remove cookies to a rack and spread with a thin layer of glaze while still warm.
Makes About 4 Dozen Cookies