Monte Cristo Sandwiches
by , Updated April 22, 2017
These French toasted sandwiches are a real treat. Make these for a special brunch or lunch.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- Use 3 slices of bread for each sandwich. Butter 1 slice; cover with a slice of ham and a slice of chicken.
- Butter both sides of second slice of bread; place on chicken and then cover with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Butter third slice of bread and put over cheese. Press slightly. Hold together with toothpicks, trim crusts if desired, then cut in half, diagonally.
- In a bowl, combine 3 slightly beaten eggs, 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt; whisk to blend.
- Dip sandwich halves in egg mixture, which is enough for 6 sandwiches.
- Fry in butter in a heavy skillet until golden brown on all sides.
- Add more butter, if necessary.
- Remove toothpicks then serve immediately, with cranberry sauce, if desired.