Oatmeal Chocolate Cake
by , Updated April 22, 2017
This delicious one layer chocolate oatmeal cake is topped with an easy peanut butter frosting.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Peanut Butter FrostingIngredients:
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar together.
- Into another bowl, combine the flour, salt, soda, and cocoa; whisk or stir to blend. Add to creamed ingredients alternately with buttermilk; blend well.
- Stir in rolled oats and chopped nuts.
- Bake in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Spread with Peanut Butter Frosting, below.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, blend together the peanut butter, cream, and vanilla.
- Add sifted confectioners' sugar, adding more cream or confectioners' sugar if necessary for spreading consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of icing over cooled cake.