Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
by , Updated April 21, 2017
This strawberry shortcake recipe comes from a 1937 clipping. Serve this delicious dessert with sweetened whipped cream or frozen thawed whipped topping and garnish with whole or halved fresh strawberries.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Grease 11-by-8-inch baking pan.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg. Mix lightly. Divide dough in half; roll each piece out to fit into the prepared baking pan.
- Place 1 portion of rolled out dough in the greased pan; brush with melted butter.
- Place the remaining portion of rolled out dough onto the first one and brush with more melted butter. Bake at 425 F until browned, about 25 minutes. Let cool then cut into 8 serving pieces.
- For each shortcake, split the cake portion and spread sweetened, slightly crushed strawberries between and on top of split cake.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Serves 8Calories per serving: 328