by , Updated April 20, 2017
This delicious, satisfying enchilada bake is made with lean ground beef, tomatoes, chile peppers, Cheddar and Jack cheeses, and corn tortillas.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, stirring to crumble. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, saute jalapeno pepper and 1/2 cup of onion until the onion is translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, both cans of tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour with the 1 tablespoon water; stir until smooth. Stir into tomato mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese and remaining 1 cup onion; set aside remaining (1 cup total) of cheese for topping casserole.
- Using tongs, dip a tortilla into hot tomato mixture. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of ground beef and 1/4 cup of the cheese and onion mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up jellyroll fashion and then place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese, then bake 5 minutes longer, or until cheese melts.
Serves 6Calories per serving: 606